Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th June 2014, 05:33 PM

Default Dead pedal

Does anyone have any ideas about a dead pedal for the left foot to rest on? All race driving manuals stress their importance, even if there is no place in the foot well they suggest making some support.

Currently I don't have one, I just rest the heel of my foot on the bottom of the clutch pedal and have the ankle bent back. As you imagine, it's not very comfortable over long journeys. I'm thinking of bolting a small shelf to the side of the foot well or the floor so there is somewhere to rest the foot against, but then it's important that it is not in the way when operating the clutch.

Thougts?
Old 19th June 2014, 06:44 AM

Small piece of aluminium Angle bolted to the floor. Spaced close enough from the pedal to rest your heal against and your toes on the pedal but far enough away not to interfere with normal operation.

Well that's what I've done with the throttle side anyway. I was getting serious cramp in my shin because of the way I was holding my foot on cruise.

Now it's completely transformed driving.

My clutch foot I turn slightly and rest it on the base of the rally design pedal box.
Old 19th June 2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alga View Post
Does anyone have any ideas about a dead pedal for the left foot to rest on? All race driving manuals stress their importance, even if there is no place in the foot well they suggest making some support.

Currently I don't have one, I just rest the heel of my foot on the bottom of the clutch pedal and have the ankle bent back. As you imagine, it's not very comfortable over long journeys. I'm thinking of bolting a small shelf to the side of the foot well or the floor so there is somewhere to rest the foot against, but then it's important that it is not in the way when operating the clutch.

Thougts?
This is an area of the build that I am going to attack. There is plenty of room in the gear tunnel to extend the space around the pedals. The tinwork adjacent could easily in some cases go into the tunnel 100mm at pedal height which would make a good pedal rest .

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 19th June 2014, 11:17 AM

I'm sure I read somewhere (can't recall where at the moment) of someone using an ashtray/pocket from the donor car and mounting it (recessed) in the tunnel wall to be used as a form of foot rest. Maybe I'm making it up but I could swear I read it somewhere.
Old 19th June 2014, 03:23 PM

Excellent idea Bob, thinking outside the box and not obstructing the pedals at all.
I have narrowed the tunnel by 25mm each side and moved U7 over to get more space, ( Type 9 box ) but missed that idea.

Quote by Bob.

This is an area of the build that I am going to attack. There is plenty of room in the gear tunnel to extend the space around the pedals. The tinwork adjacent could easily in some cases go into the tunnel 100mm at pedal height which would make a good pedal rest .

Bob
Old 19th June 2014, 04:25 PM

Well, it's easier for you, wrong-hand-drivers My clutch pedal is near the side panel, so I can only attach anything to the D3/D4 diagonals.
Old 19th June 2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubzter View Post
I'm sure I read somewhere (can't recall where at the moment) of someone using an ashtray/pocket from the donor car and mounting it (recessed) in the tunnel wall to be used as a form of foot rest. Maybe I'm making it up but I could swear I read it somewhere.
That was me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post
Even managed to make a foot rest in the tunnel out of the old mx5 ashtray! Waste not want not!

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showt...t=6206&page=29

Head scratcher for you lefties!
Old 19th June 2014, 05:57 PM

Well I defo missed that one an excellent bit of thinking outside the box....I feel a retrofit coming on
Old 20th June 2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KEV View Post
Well I defo missed that one an excellent bit of thinking outside the box....I feel a retrofit coming on
I have the odd good idea every now and again.
Old 20th June 2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post
I have the odd good idea every now and again.

Well there you go I was sure I wasn't imagining it